Thursday, February 21, 2008

Can You Break a Dollar?


One of the first CD's that I purchased after I got my first CD player in 1986 was Pocket Change-Random Axis. I had no idea who Pocket Change was, but I was familiar with saxophonist Brandon Fields who I really liked, and I had his first LP, The Other Side Of The Story. Also, I liked some of the other releases that had been put out on the label, Passport Jazz; so I picked it up - glad I did. Over the years, I never could find a whole lot of information on this group or their leader, guitarist David Patt, but Random Axis is an excellent recording- pure Contemporary Jazz. Besides Brandon Fields, two future Rippingtons members, Tony Morales and Steve Reid contribute to this recording. The songs, for the most part, all either penned or co-written by Patt are excellent, with 'Amethyst' being my favorite. Why this group never went as far or got the press that their label mates, The Rippingtons did, is a mystery to me. If you can find it, get it; this is as good as Contemporary Jazz gets. Listen to 'Amethyst'.
boomp3.com

No comments: