Saturday, February 09, 2008

Desire & Hope


Expressing or containing a desire or hope for something impractical or unfeasible; that's the official definition for Wishful Thinking. My definition, going to the record store; maybe you're happy,maybe you're sad, something's troubling you, or you're on top of the world because something great just happened, either way, it's like eating comfort food; it's the place you know that you can go, look through the bins and the racks, and hopefully, find that recording that you didn't know about, that when you listen to it - everything changes, all the bullshit evaporates and there's a smile on your face - that's Wishful Thinking. It was 1986, late Spring,early Summer, and I was in the need for some Wishful Thinking. I came across this Lp,which had liner notes written by Steely Dan's own Walter Becker, I was in bad shape, needed a fix in the worst way, so what the hell, I bought it. Actually, what made my mind up was that the instrumentation of the band included a vibe player - by now, my allegiance to Spyro Gyra should be evident, I read contemporary jazz group, vibes - I'm all over it! Well unlike the official definition, after listening to Wishful Thinking, the music that was coming out of my speakers was neither impractical or unfeasible, it was the real deal. This group, led by Tim Weston on guitar had a totally unique sound of their own, and an album full of original compositions to show for it. As is my habit (or is that addiction), I've acquired everything they released, which unfortunately, has only been four recordings since that debut in 1985. At the time I purchased this release, I was totally unfamiliar with any of the members of the group; over the years Tim Weston (g) has been involved in numerous projects with other musicians, keyboardist Chris Boardman released a solo project in the late '80's, and the other members of the group have shown up on a vast number of jazz releases that I've acquired over the years. Recently a 'Best Of' compilation has been released, but it would truly be wishful thinking to hope that Wishful Thinking would re-group and rekindle that magic. I would highly recommend that if you haven't heard these guys, go pick up their compilation 'Train Of Thought'. Listen to 'New Pajamas' and 'Groan Men Counting'.




boomp3.com
boomp3.com

No comments: