Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hot Stuff


Being a Bob James fan, I just had to pick up The Best Of Tappan Zee when I stumbled across it in 1982. I had already discovered Mark Colby, Richard Tee, Wilbert Longmire and even JoAnne Brackeen, but I had no idea who Mongo Santamaria was. Being the sucker for good Jazz flute that I am, I absolutely fell in love with 'Sambita'; besides, Hubert Laws, sounded more like my favorite flute player, Dave Valentin, than he did himself, on this track. So, I did what I had to do - find this record, Red Hot; easier said than done! I searched for years, before I finally landed a used copy of Santamaria's only release for Tappan Zee. It wasn't until I took a Road Trip in 1992, that I found a used copy, in a record store in Bethesda, MD - 10 years after I first heard Mongo slapping the congas for Bob James' specialty label. When I finally threw it on the turntable, the long wait was worth it; 'Watermelon Man', 'Jai Alai (Rena)', 'Afro-Cuban Fantasy' and of course,' Sambita'; this recording is a Contemporary Jazz masterpiece. James assembled the usual suspects to back Santamaria up; pick up Touchdown, Heads Up or Serpentine Fire and you'll know what to expect - perfection. I picked up the CD, as an import, a few years ago, still love it - search it down if you can, it's worth it. Listen to 'Sambita'.


boomp3.com

No comments: