Friday, April 04, 2008

Ooh...Babe


It was 1990, I had been waiting two years for a new release from this powerhouse fusion outfit, especially after hearing them play 'songs from the upcoming record'. I'd go to CPG, where they had a standing weekly gig, and endure the cigarette smoke, to hear them play - always checking for the 'new release'. Sure, Gamalon did release a recording, between their self-titled debut and Aerial View, but it was with Ernie Watts, it was good, but I was looking for the straight-no-chaser version. It finally came, in early summer of 1990 - Ooh...Babe (to quote one of their earlier songs), what a scorcher of a CD! Gamalon's Aerial View has made it's way into the top 10 of The Soundtrack Of My Life - no easy task. When I feel like rockin' out or I need an attitude adjustment, this is the soundtrack and these are the guys. It's amazing what you take for granted when it's right in your own backyard.......then realize you need it after it's no longer accessible; I haven't had the chance or the opportunity to see this group, probably since 1994 or 1995. They're still going strong, albeit in a different incarnation - and since I just happen to 'be in town', I'm catching them tomorrow night!
Listen and drool over 'Beat The Heat' and 'The Rift'

boomp3.com
boomp3.com

1 comment:

jzyjohn said...

caught 2 sets last night - outstanding!