Saturday, November 08, 2008

Only The Good Die Young part2


George Howard; talented, soulful, seductive, young. I first heard George Howard's incredibly seductive and soulful soprano saxophone in 1985 when I was living in San Diego; I was immediately struck by how much emotion he blew through that horn, I knew right then that he was going to be a major part of The Soundtrack Of My Life. Unfortunately, I would only have a little more than a decade to soak up his sound. George Howard, at one point was a member of Grover Washington, Jr's touring band, then went out on his own to record a number of LP's for TBA, MCA, GRP and finally Blue Note. There's going to be a number of future posts about George, but right now I'd like to introduce you to his GRP debut, Love And Understanding, released in 1991, not long after the MCA/GRP merger. As I've written previously, this was an extremely exciting and fertile time for GRP; me, I was just about to turn 30 years old when this CD was released. I was going through a transition period in my life, trying to figure out what was next, all the while looking for inspiration from the music - from My Soundtrack. The more things change, it seems the more they stay the same - ok, maybe not, but the music, The Soundtrack Of My Life will always be there.
Listen to 'Baby Come To Me', 'Love And Understanding', and 'Everything I miss At Home'

Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com

No comments: