Sunday, January 04, 2009

Funky Flute


I love Jazz Flute! Always have; usually it's a saxophonist who doubles on occasion on the flute, but one of the all time flute masters was Herbie Mann, an artist who moved very freely amongst the various styles of Jazz. An incredible example of his exceptional musicianship is Memphis Underground, recorded in 1969 with rock guitarist Duane Allman. I'm not sure when I first heard Memphis Underground, but I have this memory of being in a bar after work, circa 1998, turning my co-workers onto this track, which was loaded into the juke box of this cigar bar we used to go to. I never had the chance to see Herbie live, and it's safe to say that he's really better known for much of the Brazilian flavored recordings that he did, but Memphis Underground is my all time Herbie Mann favorite. Enjoy!

No comments: