Friday, January 25, 2008

Excitement and Sadness


Over the years, whenever there was a new Spyro Gyra release, one of the first things I'd do, is look for the Tom Schuman compositions and cue them up first. Not to take away from Jay or any of the other composers in the band, I've always been a fan of Tom's writing. So, in 1990, I was excited to learn, that in addition to the Spyro Gyra release, Fast Forward, Tom was to release his first solo recording, Extremities, produced by Jay Beckenstein. I remember a real cool ad that GRP was placing in Downbeat and Jazziz, where Fast Forward and Extremities were marketed together. So, I waited with anticipation for that Tuesday, when the new releases were put out at the local record store, and I was able to snatch up Extremities. Needless to say, I was not disappointed, an absolutely fantastic debut, with Dave Weckl, Will Lee, Bob Berg, Steve Love (who played guitar on SG's Incognito release), Jay Beckenstein and Jon Faddis helping out. To this day, this is one of my all time favorite CD's..........but it's very bittersweet; my grandmother passed later that day. I purchased 3 CD's that day, and each one, although very different, conjures up the same memory, that's why this blog truly represents significant music at significant times of my life, and I wouldn't want to have it any other way. Listen to 'Mood Swing'.
boomp3.com

No comments: