Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Different Kind Of Drummer


I moved to Southern California in early 1985, ending up in San Diego, renting a condo perched on the edge of a canyon, looking over what at the time was known as Jack Murphy Stadium, now known as Qualcomm Stadium. There was this local Jazz station that played something that I had never before heard; jazz from a steel drum - blew me away. I remember heading down to the Fashion Valley Mall and hitting the record store and searching out Slow Motion by Andy Narell, and ended up buying his first three releases. I haven't missed a release from Narell since, and don't ever plan on doing so! Guitarist and saxophonist come and go, but this steel drummer will always be a part of The Soundtrack Of My Life.
Listen to 'Two Tone Shoes', 'Slow Motion' and 'Another Drum For Oskar'

boomp3.com
boomp3.com
boomp3.com

1 comment:

EJAM said...

woow yeah

andy narrel

man oh man i love his albums

specialy the ones with will kennedy on drums