Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Mother Lode


You never know when you're going to hit pay-dirt, and come across that unknown treasure while working the bins at the record store, you know the one - the one that helps define The Soundtrack Of My Life; well, I hit the Mother Lode in the Summer of 1991, when the home-town record label released Cool Running by Jeremy Wall. As I've already confessed, it was usually the Wall compositions that were the first ones I listened to whenever Spyro Gyra released a new album, so to have a full CD of them........I barely made it home to toss the CD in the player; I hadn't felt that much anticipation since that night parked off the side of Shimerville Road! Cool Running, for me, might have just been a SG release, with trumpet and french horn, replacing Jay's sax; although other than Wall, Dave Samuels was the only other Spyro on this album, it was pure SG/Wall composed magic. Grant Geissman, the rhythm duo of Mark Egan and Danny Gottlieb along with Alex Acuna, Chip Jackson, Lew Soloff and Jerry Peel lay it out - top notch! The album was even recorded by Larry Swist at Bear Tracks. On this day, at least, the Summer of 1991 was pretty sweet.
Listen to 'Out Of The Blue', 'Riverrun' and 'Cool Running'

boomp3.com
boomp3.com
boomp3.com

No comments: