Friday, June 20, 2008

Sanborn Clone?


A lot has been written in regards to the similarity in sound that Nelson Rangell has had to David Sanborn, especially amongst his early recordings. Perhaps it's true what they say; imitation is the greatest form of flattery, in any event, Nelson is a truly gifted saxophonist that's probably had a tougher time than most in identifying his own sound. I really don't remember what prompted me to pick up this release in 1988, but it probably was either a review or more likely a well placed ad - I'm glad I did. I've been a Rangell fan from the beginning, especially of his GRP output, and in a way, feel that Nelson really benefited from the Grusin/Rosen direction, and lost his a way a bit these last few years in terms of direction and production.
Listen to 'New Country', 'Heroes', and 'To Begin Again'

boomp3.com
boomp3.com
boomp3.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agreed, John. I enjoyed a number of his GRP recordings, especially the Kip Kuepper-produced tracks. His playing on the piccolo was stellar.