Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fast Forward


June 1990 I was in Savannah, GA, I knew that GRP was about to release a number of CD's that month, one of which was the new Spyro Gyra release Fast Forward, their first on the newly merged Jazz divisions of MCA and GRP; so I was twice as excited as usual, my favorite band was coming out with a new release on my favorite label, known for their impeccable production. This was the second release of SG with Jay Azzolina on guitar, who would leave the band after his short stint to be replaced by previous and still current guitarist Julio Fernandez. I remember reading the liner notes over and over while I was in Savannah, since I didn't have a CD player while I was down there on vacation, the anticipation of listening to the disc when I got back home was killing me! Look very closely at the tour schedule on the bottom of the ad for Fast Forward, that mid July 1990 date at the Albright Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY - I was there. Fast Forward 18 years, I'll be lounging outside next Sunday (hopefully in the sun) listening to Spyro Gyra perform at Glenora Vineyards overlooking beautiful Seneca Lake, and 3 weeks after that, I'll be back in Savannah - The Soundtrack Of My Life; the more things change, the more they stay the same!
Listen to 'Bright Lights', 'Speak Easy', 'Escape Hatch' and 'Tower of Babel'

boomp3.com
boomp3.com
boomp3.com
boomp3.com

No comments: