Tuesday, September 09, 2008

B3


I don't know, maybe it was 1979 or 1980, I was either 18 or 19 years old; we would go to a rock club on Broadway, near Penora, to listen to Talas every week. I can't remember the name of the club, but the bass player of Talas was unforgettable, Billy Sheehan. After those late Seventies, early Eighties gigs, Sheehan moved out West to LA, and the rest of his bio and accomplishments are well documented. Although predominately a rock bassist, in 1997, he, along with B3 organist John Novello and drummer Dennis Chambers formed Niacin and released their first self-titled recording on Chick Corea's then new imprint, Stretch Records, via GRP. This never was, nor did Niacin pretend to be a Jazz group; these guys were clearly on the rock side of the fusion fence. I remember when I came across this CD, it was at a Media-Play; remember that place? Another mega-media store that ruined the mom & pop local vendors - these guys even sold instruments?? (talk about not doing one thing right - but certainly doing everything??). I obviously was aware of Sheehan through his local rock roots and Dennis Chambers was a session drummer who I was well aquatinted with, but I had no idea of who Novello was, and although he's a very talented player, to this day, after having picked up all their releases, both domestic and import, I still don't know a whole lot about him - but he's good! You don't really get to hear much organ nowadays, unless it's in a greasy fried chicken sort of funk setting, so it's really great to hear a true rocker go off on his B3.
Listen to 'No Man's Land', 'Bullet Train Blues' and 'Hell To Pay'
Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com

No comments: