Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Journey


I got my first CD player in 1987, prices had finally dropped to around $500 for a player! I remember how excited I was, after all, The Soundtrack Of My Life was finally going to go digital! I had been salivating over a player for about 18 months, but I wasn't in the position to afford one. How things have changed; 21 years and 7,000 Jazz CD's later, I barely use my CD player (which isn't even a CD player, but a BOSE 3-2-1 system) and I may have purchased 4 physical CD's this year - that coming from someone who was up to a 5 CD a week habit! Don't get me wrong, I'm still as addicted to my passion as ever - Jazz, it's just that now, I purchase it online and download it immediately - nothing like a little instant gratification, huh! No more stereo system, just a Mac Laptop, a pair of Harmon Kardon Sticks, an Apple Airport Express with iTunes, and a 1 terabyte hard drive to store my treasure; the more things change the more they stay the same - the method of delivery may have changed but the drug of choice remains - The Soundtrack Of My Life. I mention all this, because in 1987 my choices for CD's were limited; one of the 'early adopters' was the DMP label, which was recording Thom Rotella at the time. The only reason I discovered Rotella was because he had music out in CD format, and I was looking to purchase CD's of music that I didn't already have on LP. Rotella's 1989 release, Home Again, is a masterpiece! But my memories aren't of 1989 when I purchased this one, but of Fall of '92, living in Raleigh, NC, sitting on the floor of the living room Sunday mornings, reading the paper, and cranking this CD - full of hope & dreams!
Listen to 'Gonna Love You', 'Moon Over Venice' and 'Journey'
Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com

No comments: