Monday, September 01, 2008

Parallel Realities



Parallel Realities, that could be the definition of The Soundtrack Of My Life; at least it feels that way - the way the music can take me away, alter or enhance my mood; isn't reality perception? It was 1990, MCA released an all-star project under Jack DeJohnette's name, Parallel Realities, with Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock and Dave Holland. I've considered this as much a Pat Metheny project, more so, than DeJohnette's. I caught this amazing quartet on tour in support of this release in the summer of 1990; it was a balmy night, we had indoor seats at Artpark in Lewiston, NY, on the banks of the Niagara River gorge. I was there with two other couples, casual fans of Metheny's who had a hard time understanding the music and what they were witnessing that night. I true all-star fashion, the group took the stage one member at a time (DeJohnette, Metheny, Hancock, Holland), jamming on their respective instrument until the complete group was assembled - what followed was an improvisational masterpiece, using the songs on their release as guide, nothing more, as they re-invented each piece. Years later, I came across a Japanese import of a live recording from that 1990 tour, it sounded just the way I remembered it!
Listen to 'Jack In', 'Nine Over Reggae' and 'Nine Over Reggae live'
Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com
Boomp3.com

No comments: